Thursday, June 11, 2009

Basic Tomato Sauce Recipe

A quickie introduction for me, since Em (my 3 yo daughter) is calling me, lol. I am a mom, daughter, wife and all around busy body. I love to cook, mostly traditionally American dishes. Right now I am learning to cook Indian food and loving it. This is a basic tomato sauce I use for many different things. It freezes great, and doubles fine. Usually I get the enormous cans of crushed tomatoes at Costco and make a large amount at one time and freeze several containers. I have also given it away to friends as it makes a quick meal for a new mom, new house, and newlywed couples :-)

3- 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons of fresh basil chopped
1/4 cup of minced garlic
2-3 red onions chopped
1/4 cup of good olive oil
salt, pepper and sugar to taste

saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil. add basil right at the end of the saute. add all of the tomatoes. add about a tablespoon of salt, some cracked black pepper, and a teaspoon of sugar (it will keep it from getting bitter). Stir to combine. Bring it to a bubble, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 hours.

I use it for spaghetti and lasagna (which, insha'Allah, I will be posting a recipe for soon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment