Saturday, June 13, 2009

Easy Crispy Baked Eggrolls

I made these tonight because I didn't want to pull out the fryer. And this way is healthier any way. They tasted delicious. I need to start keeping my camera in the kitchen while I am cooking to take pictures. I went out to take some pictures of the ones that were leftover only to discover that they had all been eaten, so next time insha'Allah. These were nice and crispy and the filling was just right.

1 package of egg roll squares (usually can be found in most supermarkets by the fresh veggies or organic sections)
1 bag of coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots, shredded)
1 tablespoon of canola or other vegetable oil
some toasted sesame oil
hoisin sauce or my fav Soy Vey Hoisin Garlic

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Saute the coleslaw mix in the tablespoon of canola oil and a tablespoon of the toasted sesame oil. Drizzle some of the hoisin sauce over the coleslaw mix while it is sauteing in the pan. Once the mix is soft, place it in a mesh strainer to remove most of the liquid. Assemble the egg rolls according to the egg roll package. (I use a cornstarch slurry to dab on the edges of the egg roll squares as I roll them, this helps them to hold together and not separate while frying or baking.) Once they are assembled brush all sides of the egg rolls with the toasted sesame oil. Then place them on a cookie sheet and into the oven. Let them brown for 10 minutes, then flip and let them brown for another 10 minutes. It is very important to flip them after ten minutes, otherwise they will burn on one side and not be crispy on the other. I take them out and place them on a plate with paper towels and let them sit for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. oh my this souhnds so delish.....get those photos up soon!! and I think i will give you access to the JOYLUCK pantry too so you can put up photos of the ingredients too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I am glad to hear it, I was so worried that you all would think I was posting too much, lol

    ReplyDelete