Wednesday, December 3, 2008

BBQ Chicken Bites


When people ask me about my mom's BBQ chicken bites, I don't have much of answer for them cause I've never tried it out- until now. To be honest, I didn't even know my mom could make this until she opened up her restaurant and began to experiment. I grew up disliking barbecue sauce and anything that tasted like it. I don't even remember ever seeing a bottle in the fridge. We were more ketchup people than anything else. So when I tasted my mom's BBQ chicken bites, that was all I ever ordered at the restaurant.



There were a few times I went back to the kitchen and took a glimpse at my mother making this. She even asked on multiple occasions that I stir the chicken and add in the BBQ for her. But I felt I had no reason to learn at the time, I had my wonderful mom who would make this for dinner and other occasions, so why learn, right? Wrong :)

Long story short, I've been craving this lately and determined that I could make it on my own. I phoned up my mom and jotted down the ingredients and steps to this recipe.



What you'll need:

1. 1/2 pound of chicken sukhaar (bite sized chicken pieces)
2. 1 egg
3. 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
4. 1/2 of a chicken maggi square
5. 1 cup of Kraft's Original BBQ Sauce (you can use any brand I suppose...)
6. 1 cup of vegetable oil
7. red and green bell pepper, sliced (or veggies of your choice)

Steps:

- take your chicken pieces and mix 1 egg in them, mix well.
- add 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and mix well
- pour 1 cup of vegetable oil into a skillet and let it heat up for a few minutes
- pour your chicken pieces on the skillet, continue turning for 10 minutes, making sure the chicken pieces don't stick to the skillet.
- 10 minutes later, add your 1/2 chicken maggi cube and stir well
- then add 1 cup of any BBQ sauce of your choice and add your veggies at this point
- fry for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent stickage (I made this word up, but you know what I mean!)

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. oohh yum this looks delish!!!! you guys eatit with bariis? the greasy style or white?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hal, the chicken bites are a bit blurry..fix it up, but other than that..masha'Allah, brings back awesome memories alhamdulilah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juli, I've seen it eaten with rice and pasta. I like it best with pasta with lime squirted in... without the lime though, I probably couldn't eat it.

    We eat it with white rice though.. not the greasy kind. But then again, I rarely make the greasy kind :D I love white rice!

    mercy.. I think I might've expanded the pics too much... I made them smaller now, but other than that, I have no idea how to fix it :P def brings back old memories! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting something BBQ-ish without needs to actually BBQ and this is sooo it, cant wait to try it inshaAllah. i'll probably have this with rice

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh last night I made sweet sour chicken and something LOL...i was in a rush to cookso i defrosted boneless chicken (quicker) but this was inmy head when i cooked it LOL..so i sprinkled my chicken pieces with my allergy free flour mix, turmeric, salt and stir fried it before making thr sauce but the camera's battery was low so I doidn't take photos! the kids were relieved bedc they were hungry LOL if I had the camera, they'dprobably have to wait ages before they could eat for my photoshoot to be done LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is chicken maggi? is that like a boullion cube? The dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Sumaya, it's the boullion cube. I just happen to use the Maggi brand. It's the chicken stock flavoured cube.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh last night I made sweet sour chicken and something LOL...i was in a rush to cookso i defrosted boneless chicken (quicker) but this was inmy head when i cooked it LOL..so i sprinkled my chicken pieces with my allergy free flour mix, turmeric, salt and stir fried it before making thr sauce but the camera's battery was low so I doidn't take photos! the kids were relieved bedc they were hungry LOL if I had the camera, they'dprobably have to wait ages before they could eat for my photoshoot to be done LOL

    ReplyDelete