Wednesday, December 3, 2008
BBQ Chicken Bites
When people ask me about my mom's BBQ chicken bites, I don't have much of answer for them cause I've never tried it out- until now. To be honest, I didn't even know my mom could make this until she opened up her restaurant and began to experiment. I grew up disliking barbecue sauce and anything that tasted like it. I don't even remember ever seeing a bottle in the fridge. We were more ketchup people than anything else. So when I tasted my mom's BBQ chicken bites, that was all I ever ordered at the restaurant.
There were a few times I went back to the kitchen and took a glimpse at my mother making this. She even asked on multiple occasions that I stir the chicken and add in the BBQ for her. But I felt I had no reason to learn at the time, I had my wonderful mom who would make this for dinner and other occasions, so why learn, right? Wrong :)
Long story short, I've been craving this lately and determined that I could make it on my own. I phoned up my mom and jotted down the ingredients and steps to this recipe.
What you'll need:
1. 1/2 pound of chicken sukhaar (bite sized chicken pieces)
2. 1 egg
3. 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
4. 1/2 of a chicken maggi square
5. 1 cup of Kraft's Original BBQ Sauce (you can use any brand I suppose...)
6. 1 cup of vegetable oil
7. red and green bell pepper, sliced (or veggies of your choice)
- take your chicken pieces and mix 1 egg in them, mix well.
- add 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and mix well
- pour 1 cup of vegetable oil into a skillet and let it heat up for a few minutes
- pour your chicken pieces on the skillet, continue turning for 10 minutes, making sure the chicken pieces don't stick to the skillet.
- 10 minutes later, add your 1/2 chicken maggi cube and stir well
- then add 1 cup of any BBQ sauce of your choice and add your veggies at this point
- fry for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent stickage (I made this word up, but you know what I mean!)