Friday, December 5, 2008

Spanish Rice


A few days ago my husband surprised me with my very first cookbook. I was extremely eager to try it out, and even though I was taking a 'break' from trying new recipes that day, I couldn't help but notice the convenient prep time of 15 minutes for Spanish Rice. I've been craving Spanish rice lately even though I've never had it before! So I removed page 87/88 from the Beans, Rice & Grains chapter and into the kitchen I went.



The recipe is as follows:

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Makes: 6-8 side-dish servings

1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup of water
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained (I skipped this part)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
I tossed in some frozen veggies I had in my freezer. (carrots, green beans, and corn)

1. In a large skilled cook onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Add chilli powder; cook 1 minute more. Stir in undrained tomatoes, water, rice, undrained chile peppers, salt, black pper, and, if desired, several dashes of hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. If desired, sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. ooooh this looks so good! I love the way you served it, looks very elegant.

    I will be sure to try this.

    ReplyDelete