Monday, December 8, 2008

Eid Cookies Part I




Having prepared a large iftar yesterday, I was in no condition to cook again today. Instead, we went and enjoyed Somali cuisine at Hamdi Restaurant here in Toronto.

I did manage to bake some Eid cookies though. I figured since I've never made cookies from scratch, I thought I'd give it a try. I was also really excited to use my new cookie cutters :D. I picked 3 recipes that appealed to me from my new cookbook and started on them last night.

I present the first of three recipes, Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies. I was in quite the rush so please excuse my low quality pics! (There's one cookie without glittery sugar... I have no idea why!)



The recipe is as follows:

1 cup of butter, softened
1.5 cups of sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon cream of tartar (I skipped this... didn't have it, not even sure what it is!)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour

1. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1.5 cups of sugar, beat until combined. Beat the eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, vanilla, and salt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.

3. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

* I sprinkled some glittery sugar on them that I had lying around.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment